ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SR Works
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
Is Aperture relevant anymore?
Jan 14, 2010

Hello,

I'm a long-time Aperture user and I'm not asking this question to create controversy or start an argument, rather I'd like to know, in a philosophical sense whether people think the new Aperture 3.0, when and if it comes out, will be relevant. Or have so many people moved on to other software, that no matter what Apple does at this point, will Aperture always be a "fringe" product?

The reason I'm asking is because I went to buy a new X-Rite grey scale card the other day and the guys at the shop said I should buy X-Rite's Color Passport instead. After telling me all the benefits, they mentioned it only worked with Lightroom and ACR.

So I asked them if they thought X-Rite would support Aperture in the future and they said they doubted it. Neither of them could remember the last time they even sold a copy of Aperture. Worse still, these were the two guys from the shop who were both trained by Apple several years ago to use Aperture, but now both of them are using Lightroom instead.

It made me think of my own situation where I had six other buddies who all started with Aperture at about the same time. Of those six, I'm the only one still using it. I'm wondering if that is representative of the general photography population. Since it's been two years since a meaningful Aperture update, I bought a Lightroom book over the holidays and have to say it looks like a much more advanced product, despite the mode headaches.

So now with Bibble offering selective adjustments and fast processing, and with Lightroom offering selective adjustments, presets, and camera profiles and with Nikon NX2 having selective adjustments since 2006, is Aperture, even a new version, going to offer anything transforming? It just seems like it's so far behind at this point. Though for me, a complete non-destructive workflow, with localized edits, noise control, distortion control and perhaps even layers, would ensure my loyalty.

As I said, I'm not trying to sling arrows - it's just that this question has been on my mind a lot lately as I've read the rumors about Aperture 3.0. When I first used Aperture years ago it completely changed the way I worked (for the better) but I'm wondering if time has passed it by. What do you think?

Stuart
--
http://www.stuartruckman.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow