The Joy of primes. I have cured my Nikon Acqusition Syndrome.

Started Jan 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SUPERHOKIE
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?
The Joy of primes. I have cured my Nikon Acqusition Syndrome.
Jan 13, 2010

As I get deeper and deeper into photography, I've learned something about myself.

I currently have or have had, the best of Nikon. 70-200 VR II, 24-70, 17-55, 14-24, the usual deal, you know.

But when I mount one of them big guns on my D300 with grip and attach and a SB-900 (I do a lot of indoor social shootings), the set up becomes quite heavy. And with the D300 bodies, you have to swing the camera up vertically to see the small LCD screen and change the ISO and WB settings. After some shooting with the 70-200 VR II attached and some repeated motions of lifting the camera WITH THE VR II attached to change ISO, my fingers get tired quickly. And my Think-Tank UD 50 loaded with the 17-55, 70-200, SB-900 x 2, and the D300 is very heavy and big. I found myself not wanting to carry that big load as much as I want to.

I consolidated and sold all my cheap 18-xx lenses to get the big pro gear because I simply had to have it and I thought that would make me happy. But when the only lenses I have are the 17-55 and the 70-200, I found it to be very unpractical to carry it with me all the time. I mean, when I'm going for a walk in the park I don't want to be lugging the VR II and 17-55 hanging on my neck.

So I got me some primes.

I got the 24mm 2.8, 35mm F2, 50mm 1.4D, and the 85mm 1.8. I already have the 35mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.4G, but I like the classic screw drive primes because they are much smaller than the G counterparts and they focus faster. And they are built better.

With these 4 primes, I can pick any suitable combination of a light 2 prime kit. I can go out with the 35 and 85. I can walk around all day with the 35 F2 hanging on my neck and the 85mm in the bag. It sure beats walking around with the 17-55 hanging from my neck, and the 85 will give me that eye popping subject isolation I was always wishing from the 17-55.

I can pack the 24mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4d and walk around the street all day. 24mm for the wide city view, and 50mm for people shots. Or I can pack the 24 and 85. I love the versatility and the portability. Oh yeah, I threw in the SB-400 that I had forgotten about in the closet.

I will always have the pro gear for the "events", but they will merely be transported to and from location in the Urban Disguise 50. But for everything else, I love the Urban Disguise 10 and my "2 prime kit" of the day. It's awesome. I now have a camera with me ALL THE TIME, and will never miss a moment.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow