Started Jan 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Franklin Al
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?
Lighting a Fashion Show Runway
Jan 12, 2010

I will be shooting a professional fashion show with three designers and 30 models. The show will be on a single runway approximately 60 feet (20 meters) long with the models walking from the curtain to the end and back. I will have full access to any position I would like but would assume I will set up at the end of the runway on a ladder for a direct shot to the approaching model.

I have shot this event before( http://awphotos.zenfolio.com/p162865641/ )with an on camera flash (on a bracket with bounce card) and it worked out pretty well but I now own and have access to several strobes, wireless transmitters, softboxes, grids, etc and I would like to "take it up a notch" I have considered setting up a couple of softboxes at the end of the runway with an appropriate ratio plus some backlighting/hairlighting all triggered by pocketwizards. Would this work or am I getting carried away?

The biggest problem I have is that the models will be moving and the lighting will change depending on where they are at the time. By focusing at the end of the runway, I can meter for that position where they will all pause, turn, etc and hopefully get some great shots but I don't know how I would shoot the "walk" Perhaps I should use two bodies, one with on board flash for the walk, another for when they are in the area covered by the strobes?

What is the "best practice" among the pro's at a fashion show?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow