Started Jan 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
oatsonix
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
D40 shutter delay problem!
Jan 12, 2010

Hi all. I bought a Nikon D40 six months ago and it has been working great until recently that it developed a strange problem with its shutter mechanism.

The camera occasionally has a long delay between the time I fully pressed the shutter button and the time the shutter is actually triggered. Sometimes I need to keep pressing the shutter button for 1-2 second before the shutter mechanism is activated. This delay happens even when the camera is half-pressed and focuses properly (red focus indicator is lit). So this delay is definitely not caused by the camera not focusing. This delay happens in both good light and bad light situations. Although it seems to be worse in low-light and low-temperature environment. It was very bad when I took some photos at the Grand Canyon 2 weeks ago. It also happens with all the lenses I have. The strange thing is this delay only happen occasionally, not every time I take pictures.

I was advised by a photographer friend that it might be caused by the contact point of the lens and the body. I contacted Nikon but the technician I spoke with has no idea about the cause and would like me to send the camera in. But before doing that, I'd like to know if any Nikon owners in here encounter a problem like this. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Nick

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow