I am really stuck - what would you do...

Started Jan 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
flash1100
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
I am really stuck - what would you do...
Jan 11, 2010

...and why?

This post got me thinking about something that is bothering me considerably

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=34202437

As you will know I use my Pentax gear to shoot motorsport (bikes generally, but am expanding my repertoire).

While the K7 has mostly solved the AF issues, high ISO performance and an astoundingly poor lack of fast long prime/zoom lenses are still issues. (I know there are some long Pentax primes around but too hard to come by and very, very expensive).

The only real solutions are the Sigma 100-300/4 which I have or Sigma 300/2.8 with a 1.4x TC on either.

On Saturday I went to my local toy shop out of curiosity. I looked at the D300s, D2Xs (used and very, very well priced) and the 7D. Hated the 7D straight away, felt like a toy compared to K7 and D300s.

The ergos of the D300s are very impressive, feel not unlike the K7, just a bit larger and heavier. AF performance is at least as good as the K7, noise @ 800 ISO reportedly better, and the lens choice either N or third party is good.

The D2Xs is 4 year old technology, high ISO performance similar to the K7, but AF would be the same. IQ @ ISO400 and below is amazing!

Now I am really stuck - as I knew I probably would be. Do I stick with Pentax and invest in a Sigma 1.4x TC and perhaps a Sigma 300/2.8 or jump ship.

The K7 does take excellent images, love the ergos, the grip, the battery life, the lenses, and flash performance. Plus I have been with Pentax all my life!

Moving to a N system would give me a vast range of lenses to choose from. High on the list is a Sigma 120-300/2.8 + 1.4x TC.

Another important considerations is that altho I am low on the list of semi-pro users, as time goes on I propose to increase my profile and activity to national and international events, with a view to turning full pro.

I have over $10k invested in Pentax. The K7 + grip + 17-70 SDM + Sigma 100-300 are all less than 6 months old. I can't afford (not allowed to have) two systems!

Please don't post if you are just going to bash Nikon, or my choice. This is a genuine post, and I'm after genuine opinion. Please do challenge me, just don't post cr@p.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow