Started Nov 29, 2009 | Discussions thread
Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,991Gear list
Like?
I had a real "gun sight" incident...
In reply to GeorgeD200, Jan 10, 2010

GeorgeD200 wrote:

Pedagydusz wrote:

Red Dot Sights can be mounted on cameras. Indeed, I have seen several references to such combinations (especially for super zoom cameras and Digiscoping combinations)

Antonio

How do you keep the red dot out of your pictures?

Red dot sights don't project an image. They're image combiners that put a virtual red dot in your scope's view, using a negative lens to put it at "virtual infinity". Like the "bright line" viewfinders that rangefinder cameras have had for decades.

Imagine trying to take a picture of a public figure with red dots crawling all over their face! Sounds a little far-fetched to me.

Fortunately, it doesn't work that way.

I'll just go take a picture now of President Obama with my 600mm f4 with red dot sight. It's been nice knowing you.

I really had an incident like that happen to me. Around 2002 or 2003, I was shooting a rally at which the Governor of Michigan was scheduled to speak. The D100 suffers from IR sensitivity problems, so I was using "hot mirror" filters (B+W IR blocking filters) to give me more natural looking skin tones and clothing colors. I had 6 of those filters, including 77mm versions on my 70-200mm f2.8 (it may have been the old 80-200mm f2.8 at that time) and 28-80mm f2.8.

If you've never seen a hot mirror filter, it reflects off angle light as very bright red, and its appearance is quite dramatic.

Anyway, the Governor's security agents did a "crowd sweep" well before the scheduled appearance, and guess who they singled out? The agent who lead the charge said the only thing he had ever saw gleaming red like that was a telescope on a sniper rifle. Once I showed them it was just a filter, that it unscrewed from the front of a lens, and that lens and camera were really a fully functional lens and camera, not a disguise for a weapon, they were happy.

The security guards made it very obvious as they approached that they were armed, and they definitely gave the impression it would be in my best interest to stay put and play nice. If the event involved the President (or even the Governor of someplace a little nuttier than Michigan, like Indiana or Texas) I could see things having gone a lot worse.

Man, I hated those filters. I was so glad when I got my hands on a D2X that good infrared blocking built in.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RDSNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow