Like?
Re: What are they thinking at Canon?
In reply to RobjDickinson, Jan 6, 2010

RobjDickinson wrote:

16-35
24-70
70-200

The 3 workhorses of the pro shooter.

This is just not true. Having earned my living as a photographer for the last 20 years I know what "Pros" use. That is, the whole range of lenses. Professional photographers are not monolithic.

Certain PJs use the 16-35, and most sports shooters will have a 70-200.

Many "pros" in the wedding world might have a 70-200, often an f4 for size and 2 or three fast primes.

In my world of pros probably the most universally owned lens is the 35mm f1.4, followed by the 85mm f1.8. You could make a case that the 85mm f1.8 is like a polarizing filter, everybody has one.

In the world of Magazine photographers, not sports, wide lenses rule. The Zeiss FE 21mm is all the buzz these days, as is the Nikkor 14-24mm. The 24L II is a great lens, but that where the Canon wide love ends. And everyone also has a 24-105L (see note on 85f1.8 above).

For nature and wildlife shooters it's all about LONG lenses. 400f2.8, 500 or 600f4. Not the whole collection, but one of them.

Fact is the #1 lens for wannabes is the 70-200f2.8 IS. It's the lens rich dilettantes will buy and show up in my classes with no idea what they have. They all say, this is what they told me all the "pros" use.

Then, of course there's the world of great photographers out there who don't make a dime. And they are also not a monolithic group, but I'll let them speak for themselves.

The Canon 70-200 lens might be ubiquitous because Canon introduced 5 different models in the last 15 years. They will sell what they promote.

Tom

http://www.kachadurian.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow