Started Jan 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sjordan0228
Contributing MemberPosts: 658
Like?
7d and 100-400 back from canon
Jan 6, 2010

Got my 7d and 100-400L back from canon. This is the 2nd trip to canon repair (both were bought new about 2 months ago).

Here is what the paper work said:

100-400

Your product has been examined and it was found that the part did not operate properly. The focus did not operate properly. The part was replace and product functions confirmed. Focusing ass'y, usm/mount,lens. Checked all, adjusted focus and cleaned to factory specs. Adjusted with body.

7d

Your product has been examined and it was found that the adjustment of the part wsa incorrect causing front focus. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the part and product functions were confirmed. Checked all, adjusted focus & exposure, cleaned to factory specs. Cleaned c-mos & adjusted with lens.

And now for the verdict. I confirmed the following: (all one shot AF)
Spot AF - Good
AF Point Expansion - Good
Zone AF - Seems to still front focus

Now, this was indoor shooting on a static subject with a tripod. Using 2 different lenses. However, this is not real life shooting. I only intend to use Zone AF under conditions where I want to use Servo AI at long distances using the 100-400 at 400mm. If the camera performs well in this situation I could care less about Zone AF at short distances. The camera focuses way better then it did before. My 100-400 and 70-200 were useless on this camera before.

Tomorrow or the next day I will take the camera out when I actually have good lighting and do some test and post the results.

One weird thing I did noticed is that the 100-400L lens had a +2 MFA set when it came to me.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow