Why is D90 betten then D300s at DxOMark Sensor test?

Started Jan 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,827Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is D90 betten then D300s at DxOMark Sensor test?
In reply to cluna, Jan 5, 2010

cluna wrote:

CaspianM wrote:

DXO is a sensor rating based on their own raw conversion.
It is fairly accurate assesment of sensors in the given categories.
The difference may not be as significant as it appears unless it is large.
But you will need to include other factors that DXO dosen't measure.

A digital camear is not all about its iso or other sensor performance but it cannot be ignored either IMO.

I just looked at the overlay, and it is showing the D90 with 2EV more dynamic range at the higher ISOs.

I dont even think DXO is even interpreting the RAW, each channel being tested alone and no debayering. Perhaps we are mistaken in assuming the raw output values are linear and congruent across bodies?

It really does make it necessary to post the camera settings as tested

Conjecture:

maybe there is a poor assumption that the photosites as captured in the RAW of the 'pro' and the 'consumer' cameras are congruent.

Maybe there is scaling of the data on the D90 to compress the color information given the fixed 12bit RAW option. Think of how compressors work in the Audio Realm in order to increase S/N and headroom perhaps Nikon is doing similar with the D90 and the 300s raw output varing based on the RAW output type selected?

-C

I don't know how DxO measures this, but from photos I've taken with both the D90 and the D300s there is no way the D90 has 2EV more dynamic range.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow