Started Jan 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
horsegoalie
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
GF1 Questions
Jan 5, 2010

I asked these questions on the Panasonic Forum, but it was recommended to post here (So I copied and pasted, and away we go...):

Wanted some opinions on the right time to buy a GF1 or similar camera. My wife does not like to carry around my old (and broken) D70, but we need the performance of a dSLR. I do not have a ton of lenses, (only a 50mm prime for the Nikon which is not very useful on the low end dSLRs as they will not AF)

Both of my kids play sports, my son with football, lacrosse, and basketball, and my daughter with jumping horses. The latter is incredibly difficult (if not impossible) to photograph with a P&S, especially when she is indoors in poorly lit arenas. Enough background, on to the questions:

1) If I buy the adapter, will AF and IS be usable on the "standard" 4/3 lenses?
2) How is low light sports photography with the GF1 as compared to a dSLR?

3) How is the video quality as compared to a dSLR. I was very displeased with the video I got from a T1i I borrowed for one of my daughter's shows. Quite honestly, the video from my canon SX10 was better due to the focusing as the horse moves around a large distance, very near and far from me. My wife and daughter like the video feature, so this is relatively important.

4) Is this the time to buy? I have two choices, repair my broken D70 (for about $200) or use that money to invest in a new camera. Would I be better to buy a D5000/D90 or T1i? I am not in favor of the NX10 because of its proprietary lens system, but will Nikon/Canon be coming out with competitors soon?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow