Started Jan 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DPFranz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,461Gear list
Like?
images darker in Windows Photo Viewer after new software
Jan 5, 2010

Hoping you guys may be able to help. I'll cross post in retouching, but I usually get zero response over there. Here's my basic issue:

Most of the images on my site, at least up through mid-2008, were processed on my old WinXP machine, Nikon Capture 4 to TIF, TIF processed in PSCS2, converted to sRGB, and saved as JPG. Since then I've gotten a new laptop, and am using Windows Vista, and now Windows 7, along with Capture NX2 and PSCS4. Most of the Afghan images I've posted recently were processed entirely in NX2, no PSCS4, but when you see a frame, it's been through PSCS.

Ok, so here's the issue - all the images I did on the old computer, Win XP, Capture 4, PSCS2 behave just as I'd expect - they display identically in all software (PSCS4, Capture NX2, Windows Photo Viewer, IE, Firefox), on my new machine as well. Repeat - older images work just fine! But all the images I've worked on the new machine in Capture NX2 under Vista or Win7, display just fine in Capture NX2, PSCS4, IE, Firefox, but much darker in Windows Photo Viewer . This is a bummer because I really the program for its quick, simple performance. As an aside, a friend of mine with an older XP machine says that windows doesn't recognize my jpgs (the newer ones) when I send them to him in an e-mail, and he has to bring them up in photoshop. So my question is...how am I botching these files so that they are acting differently than my old files? I've always converted to sRGB, and that has made them display uniformly across all platforms and applications, but now...well, here's an example. On the left is one of my old images - displays uniformly in (left to right) PSCS4, Windows Photo Viewer, and Firefox. But on the right we have one of my new images, and you can see that it displays "normally" in Firefox and PSCS4, but (in the middle) Windows Photo Viewer displays it much darker. In all cases I am using the file actually stored on my site at SmugMug (downloaded and displayed in PSCS4 and Windows Photo Viewer along side the website in order to create this screengrab). I've posted the actual files used for the comparison below the comparison screengrab.

So how have I botched these files? ..all are sRGB...I just can't figure this out. Appreciate any help. Thanks

-- hide signature --

Dana Paul Franz
danapfranz@gmail.com
http://dfranz.smugmug.com

'The moment an emotion or fact is transformed into a photograph it is no longer a fact but an opinion .... All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth.' - Richard Avedon

DPFranz's gear list:DPFranz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D70 Nikon D2X Nikon D3S +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow