Are shutterspeed and aperture still discrete values?

Started Jan 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Puma2
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
Are shutterspeed and aperture still discrete values?
Jan 3, 2010

I was wondering. Is in this digital era the shutterspeed and aperture still discrete values that can be selected? I mean does the camera still set exactly 1/60, 1/90 or 1/125 seconds? Or 1/2.8, 1/4, 1/5.6 as aperture? I can understand that in the past it was a mechanical thing, that you set in discrete steps. But is this still so in this age? Why?

Why can't the shutterspeed not be matched better with the timing needed for a pervect exposure? For example: 1/5.6 and 1/95 seconds (it would display 1/90 in the info bar to give me some kind of indication, but in reality it shoots 1/95).

The reason I ask is curiosity, but also has to do with alleged differences between camera's. How can one camera be way more superios in exposure if it only selects from a set of discrete values. If a camera sets an exposure somewhere it can still be a bit off if we consider the discrete steps. I think my 40D makes steps of 1/3 EV. So it can be plus or minus 1/6 EV off (otherwise it would have choosen the next value). If we would exposurewise compare the 40D with a pro EOS 1 Mark IV or Nikon 3Ds, the 40D would only have inferior exposure measurement if it would have selected another time and aperture from those discrete values. Would something like that ever happen?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow