Humming Bird

Started Dec 31, 2009 | Discussions thread
alaska_tim
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Re: Humming Bird
In reply to The design Guy, Jan 1, 2010

I like that the subject is sharp, the exposure is correct and the background is blurred nicely. Really, these are the most important elements. That said, there is always room for improvement, right?

I do not like that the tail was cut out of the image. It may seem trivial, but it is a generally a good idea to either take a photo of the entire bird, or just the head. When little things (toes, tail feathers, wing tips) get cut out, it disrupts the framing of the photo, as the subject goes all the way to the edge, but only at one small part of the image.

Also, I am not a fan of plastic feeders in my shots. The tree idea is a good one.

Finally, the back lighting dulled the color in the feathers. You could throw in some fill light from your flash. If you are shooting through a closed office window, this will obviously not work. Make sure to take the flash off camera, as you want to maintain detail (i.e. tiny shadows) in the feathers and this is best achieved with your light hitting your subject at an angle to the lens.

Just my thoughts.

alaska_tim's gear list:alaska_tim's gear list
Olympus E-620 Nikon D7100 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow