Started Dec 30, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hiki08
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Which filter for Canon 15-85mm lense on 500D
Dec 30, 2009

I was wondering what level (and price level) of filter will I need for the Canon 15-85mm lense on the 500D.

1. The only brand I've become slightly familiar with is Hoya. As far as I understand, there's the Standard, HMC and Super HMC. I mainly want to use a filter to protect the lense, but also want to minimise its effect on the lense's image quality. Currently considering the Hoya HMC, is the Super HMC an overkill? (or is the HMC itself an overkill too?)

2. I've seen "UV(0)" and "UV(N)". I've seen a lot more 0's so I assume that's the one I should be getting. But what does the 0 and N mean?

3. Also, if i went to a store, would the person understand if I say I wanted a "72mm Hoya HMC UV filter"? Or is there a better way of communicating the product which I want? I just want to be on the same wavelength as the store-person when I walk in

4. Another thing, I know the lense is 72mm - I presume I would purchase a 72mm filter. But I've read on another thread ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1002&thread=34096280 ) where it seems like the filter can have one size on one side, and another size on the other for lense hoods? (I'm pretty confused here)

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow