Started Dec 28, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Greg Henry
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,841
Like?
In Memory of a Pet: Lucy (photo)
Dec 28, 2009

Sorry.. this might vent a bit - still a bit freaked out over recent events....

Yesterday afternoon, I was running around doing company errands with my roommate (we work at the same place). I came home in the late afternoon, and let my 3 dogs outside to use the bathroom - all seemed well with each.

A few minutes later, "Lucy", my Shepherd mix, began slow, deep, heavy panting while laying still and upright in the yard. Soon after, she wobbled to get up, and barely made it to the center of the yard before she laid down, rolled over, and in the course of 2-3 minutes, her breathing slowed more and more until she was gone. I was inside on the phone with an after-hours vet office trying to figure out what it was - the roommate was outside with her, and was there with her at the final moment.

That was a very condensed version of it as I don't want this to turn into a sob fest, but without subjecting her body to tons of lab tests, the general theory by the vets and others I've talked to is that this was a heart attack. Apparently, with even a seemingly perfectly healthy dog like her (even though she was 12 years old), it's not uncommon for them to be in perfect appearance of health right up to the last moment before it happens - then it happens. I've already talked to several people who's dogs passed in almost exact same stories as what happened to Lucy.

Anyway - cry vent over. I've been trying to collect my thoughts and emotions today, and ran across a photo of her that I'm going to use on a DVD slideshow I'll make for me and my roommate and a couple of friends later in the week once I can do it without going nutty. Of all the photos I took of this dog, and with the so-called "pro" equipment, the photo I'm going to use was taken years ago with an old 2MP Olympus 2100. It's not a technically perfect photo, but the pose and eyes capture her intenseness....

Here is a recent shot I found as well - this one showing her age a bit, but still the "stare" as she studies something in the yard...

This last photo is also not anything to brag about from a technical standpoint, but in terms of illustration it shows a good example of a spoiled dog - this is how she would lay in the living room chair when watching TV...

Thank you for looking. Posting even silly pics helps.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow