Back To Older Digicam Fasination Chat (3MP or Less)

Started Dec 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,219Gear list
Like?
Re: Back To Older Digicam Fasination Chat (3MP or Less)
In reply to Barry Nelson, Dec 27, 2009

Barry Nelson wrote:

I just received an Olympus C-700 10X zoom I snagged off Ebay for $32.50 in like new condition and a 64mb and 16mb Olympus Smartmedia card.

We still have the Olympus C-990/D-490 taking 1600x1200 resolution pics- let me get it out now.

It has the last remaining 128 MB SmartMedia card in it, my late C-40/D-40 eat the others. I have a few 16MB SmartMedia cards still. The four AA batteries were flat, but I had a charged set lying around. The camera has been in storage for years, but it does work, taking pictures and displaying them. I still might have the serial cable, but just now I downloaded the pictures using the Fuji SmartMedia/xD card reader.

Here is one of my favourite pictures taken with it in April 2001 at the Melbourne Aquarium, which had been opened in February that year:

By today's standards the camera is slooow. SHQ mode was just about unusable even in 2001 for that reason. Any crops smaller than 4/5 of the original show pixellation. The zoom is only 3x, so you cannot zoom in to avoid cropping.

We keep the C-990 because it works with four AA cells, which bypasses the impediment of proprietory Li-Ion cells which you can never get in a hurry when you are desperate for a spare. Alkalines work long enough in the C-990 to be useful.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SP-570UZ, Stylus 7020, Stylus 800
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow