5DMII or 7D for casual shooter....

Started Dec 25, 2009 | Discussions thread
lemming2008
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
Re: 5DMII or 7D for casual shooter....
In reply to Eijnaix, Dec 26, 2009

I think people are getting a bit hung up on the use of 'casual shooter'. Definitions for that vary, and the OP already had some decent SLR lenses. It's a valid point that these are not first-DSLR camera choices, but since it appears this isn't their first...

I spent a lot of time trying to pick between the 7D and 5DII. They are both very good, and they shine for different things. If there was already a 5DIII I'd have gone for that. But given the current feature breakdown, I wanted faster/fancier focusing more than I felt I was being held back by the IQ advantages a 5DII would offer. I went with the 7D and put the saved money into a 17-55mm lens.

It depends on the type of photography you do. If I did just portraits I'd have gone with a FF sensor.

Having both bodies does mean you get double mileage out of many of your (non-EFS) lenses. So at some point later I may do that. But for now, I don't use my camera often enough to need more bodies.

lemming2008's gear list:lemming2008's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow