Started Dec 24, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TWHook
Regular MemberPosts: 170
Like?
Thom Hogan calls 24-70 one of the "Duds of the Decade"
Dec 24, 2009

I just read an article recently posted by Thom Hogan on his website that addressed what he felt were Nikon's "Duds of the Decade". Therein was included this "Dud":

24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S. Surprised to see that lens on this list? It's here because it reflects Nikon's inability to understand that VR is sometimes useful in the midrange, and the lens on which they should have shown us that they understand that is this very lens (extra credit: the 17-55mm f/2.8 DX needs it, too). The extension to 24mm from 28mm at the wide end was useful, but this lens just screams for VR.

From my perspective, among its many attributes, I have found this lens to be remarkably SHARP. When compared to both VR and non VR lenses that I own (i.e. 70-200 VR1, 300 2.8 VR 1, 105 2.8 VR, 85 1.4D among others), the 24-70 is as good as any of them under the conditions I shoot. Perhaps Mr. Hogan likes to hew his images with a well-honed knife, but the dull blades of the 24-70 that produce my pictures seem just fine and sharp enough for me.

For the sake of due diligence, I must add that undoubtedly there are "sometimes" when VR would benefit this lens. Total darkness comes to mind, or perhaps in the unsteady hands of a small child or an arthritic old man (my past and future by the way...).

Hogan knows his stuff so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but "screams for VR"? I must be totally deaf.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow