How to adjust aperture with MF Canon FD Lens?

Started Dec 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,604Gear list
Like?
How to adjust aperture with MF Canon FD Lens?
Dec 21, 2009

I just got a few Canon FD lenses. They all have the little lever on the back of the lens that should adjust aperture along with an aperture ring. However, when you adjust aperture with either method it does nothing. Does that mean the apertures are broken?

Should you be able to manually adjust aperture with an FD lens or is there some other way? Are both of these lenses just broken? Is there a trick to adjusting Aperture with these lens?

Thankfully, they are both stuck wide open which fits my needs. However, I would like to determine if they are defective or not. All of my Nikon and Oly lenses allow manual aperture adjustment. I was expecting these Canon's to do the same.

Here are some pictures of a similar lens and its adjustments. Should these work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-FD-50mm-F1-4-SSC-CAMERA-LENS-F1-A1-NO-RESERVE-99_W0QQitemZ370307908557QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item56381243cd

-- hide signature --
 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow