Started Dec 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
3sgilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,053Gear list
Like?
upgraded wife from a350 to a550 initial impressions
Dec 21, 2009

Well title says it upgraded my wifes a350 to an a550 and so far i believe the a550 to be a great camera ( but would have felt better paying in the $800 range for it ).

First thing I noticed is that the camera is light, I almost thought it didnt have a battery in it ( used to carrying the a700 with 2.8 lenses i guess ). I also noticed sure enough the power switch is a little awkward for me and it really seems like just minor tweaking would have made it so much better. Did I accidentally turn it off a few times? yes.... did muscle memory quickly get involved and make this a none issue? yes. It was an issue for all of about an hour.....

2nd thing that Struck me was that the handling ( remember im used to the a700 ) was much better than anticipated. In fact I feel with a battery grip ( I really like to get my pinky involved ) it will really be comfortable in my hands and balance my larger lenses better. I was very surprised at how much better it was than the a350 and how little trouble I had adapting from a700 use. Lets not get crazy here its no a700 but its fairly easy to manipulate the camera. In fact if it had an AWB it would be over the top!

3rd was its screen HOLY MOLY I just though the a700 screen was clear and bright, I know they are the same spec ( so i wasn't prepared ) but the a550 screen is sharper and brighter than my a700 it just is. I have used the a300 and a350 in the past i believe this screen to articulate farther and with positive stops.

4th was the menu system is WAY easier to navigate than the reviews seem to indicate. If you know what your doing turn off the help menu ( although this would have been great for me when i first purchased the a300 ). From there its the normal easy to use sony layout you press the conveniently located FN button and your right there to most of the settings you need to manipulate for dynamic photo opportunities. I never read the manual I just navigated based on feel and flow intuitive if you ask me.

-- hide signature --

Sony a700 with HVL56AM
Sony a550 ( Wife )
Minolta 50mm F1.4
Minolta 28-75 F2.8 Japan
Sony 18-55 ( Kit )
Tamron 70-200 F2.8 Di
Tamron 28-105 F2.8
Tamron 28-200 3.5-5.6
Tamron 200-500 5-6.3 Di

3sgilbert's gear list:3sgilbert's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow