Started Dec 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Srikant
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
100-400 L and newborns/kids
Dec 21, 2009

For more that 4 months I have 100-400L on my wish list. My primary purpose would be to take bird pictures while hiking and traveling. Today I got approval from wife to go ahead and order it. But on a condition that I can order it only after I am done with ordering some stuff for our baby due to arrive in a month. A reasonable and simple condition indeed.

Now the situation is that, with our baby on its way, I don't see myself traveling and hiking so much in the near future. I will be clicking pictures of our baby and her mom rather than birds. And later it will be toddlers and kids in fight rater than birds in flight. Eventually I will go back to hiking biking and birds but not in the near future.

I am now thinking if 100-400L is still a good lens to buy for me? What will be its utility around newborns and kids? I have a 50 F1.8 and an EF-S 18-200. I am very happy with 50mm and satisfied with 18-200. Even though 18-200 is soft at its wide and tele ends, I find that I currently have problem with only reach rather than resolution and clarity.

Since I have the approval to buy a new (L) lens, I don't want to miss out on that. But again I don't want to buy something this expensive and still end up using my old glass exclusively and never take out the new one out of its bag.

Should I go ahead and just order it? or should I order some other lens? Some stunning pictures of infants and toddlers in action with 100-400L will convince me to go for it. Or some solid arguments against it and some stunning picture (of infants and toddlers) with some other appropriate quality lens will convince me otherwise. Either way, please help me get off the fence.

thanks
--
Srikant

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow