Thinking about the Tamron AF 18-270 lens - Should I be?

Started Dec 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ewan Grantham
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
Thinking about the Tamron AF 18-270 lens - Should I be?
Dec 20, 2009

Have been thoroughly enjoying my new XSi, and had a great time a couple weekends ago shooting with the kit 18-55 lens. On Friday I finally got my 55-250 lens, and looked forward to going on a shoot on Saturday.

Having now been on that shoot, I'm not such a happy camper. To carry the other lens around, I ended up with a bag to hold it around my neck so that I had both the camera and the kit bag. Then I'd get to a shot, and after a little bit of experimenting I found I was needing the 18-55 about twice as often as the 55-250. Which meant when there WAS a long shot, I had to stop, do the exchange in and out of the bag and such, and then either leave the lens on and hope the next shot would be another long one, or...

So, I now find myself thinking that either there has GOT to be a better way to run around with two lenses than what I was doing OR I need to get a lens that can cover the whole range. And yes, this is my first DSLR after almost 9 years of P&S cameras.

If I were going to get a single lens, the Tamron AF 18-270 lens seems to have the best review of the all-in-one lenses I've seen on here. Anyone here with personal experience pro or con? Alternately, is there anyone here with a better way of running around with two lenses that will keep me from wanting to do this in the first place?

TIA!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow