Started Dec 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hiki08
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
24-105 or 28-135mm on 500D body?
Dec 20, 2009

I've decided on getting a 500D, but have yet decided on a lens to pair the camera with. The 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and 24-105mm f/4L IS USM both seem to serve a good zoom range as a starting lense (or a lense to bring around for travel).

From what I have gathered,

The 28-135mm lense is slightly old (1999), IS is the second gen version and focusing is slower and noisier than current iterations of USM, but it seems that the lense is generally a sturdy and well-performing lense.

The 24-105 is obviously a lot more expensive, and (though I've read countless reviews and seen noticable differences in comparisons between the two lenses, they're mostly on a 5D or 1D body), I was wondering whether there would be much difference between these two lenses on a 500D body.

If I get the 24-105 lense now, I've considered the option of sticking with the 24-105 lense even after I upgrade bodies in the future (say, 5 or 6 years down the track).. but what's the difference and would it be worth buying now?

I've been sitting on this question for the past month and reading reviews hasn't solved the dilemma so far. Any opinions is very much appreciated as I look to make the purchase in early Jan. Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow