Don't use a blower to clean your sensor???

Started Dec 18, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,437Gear list
Like?
Don't use a blower to clean your sensor???
Dec 18, 2009

Here's proof even though the owners manual says to use a blower the manufacture just does not want you touching it and costing them potential warranty repair costs. Why do I say this? Because the K200D service manual tells the tech to never blow the CCD as dust may enter it. If after cleaning dust is still there then maybe its in the CCD. It shows the tech how to use wet swabs. I say get out the wallets use an AB or wet swabs, blowing is the worst thing you can do to your dSLR IMO. All you do is blow dust around and it may even get into the CCD itself. Dust comes in some very small sizes and can get into the most sealed of devices. I guess the customer living with a few small dust specks is better than damage to the sensor?

Now I do gently blow my focus screen sometimes when I know a piece of dust got stuck on the bottom. But I don't blow my sensor and have a perfectly clean OVF and sensor!

"[CCD Cleaning]
I removed procedure to save space but not this-

6) Set the image to life size (1:1) and confirm dust. (Better to make clear the position of dust with
such as coordinate)

If you see dust clearly on image, there is possibility that the dust enters into the inside of
CCD. (Disassembly and cleaning or replace T600)

3) Do not use a brush-less blower and a spray type blower to clean the CCD because there is a possibility that dust enters into the inside of CCD.

[Supplement] Dust on the CCD

Cause of dust into the camera. → Dust enters from outside of the camera when changing the lens. Dust stick by moving mirror or shutter. According to CCD characteristic the static electricity occurs when taking a picture and so the condition is dust stick easily. Besides customer can find dust easily by viewing image by the computer. It is very difficult to remove dust completely therefore, before cleaning the camera, explain to customer for cleaning as much as possible. " end quote

-- hide signature --
 jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow