Started Dec 18, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Charles Daley
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
5D mark II and compatible lenses
Dec 18, 2009

I am new to DSLR photography. I have been taking snapshots with a G5 for years now but I am getting more into photography and want a professional level camera. I am just going to go for it and get a full frame camera namely the Canon 5D Mark II. But I dont know what Canon lenses are compatible with this camera. I have read other places on the web that if I end up getting lenses made for the smaller sized camera sensors there will be loss of quality and there will be some cropping of a full frame sensor and will not take advantage of the entire sensor. Some places on the web say that certain lenses will not fit at all. Can someone give me a short or long answer to what lenses from the Canon line up of lenses on their current website I can buy for the Canon 5D Mark II camera body. Or are all the lenses on the Canon website compatible with the full frame camera. Also there is a kit for the 5D Mark II that comes with a lens the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM so I assume its a lens that takes full advantage of a full frame sensor. The only reason I seem so paranoid about what lenses to buy for this camera is that I have been looking at some Nikon cameras and they say that their small sensor DSLRs are a DX format and the full frame cameras are an FX format. The only thing I know about the Nikon set up is that if there is a DX in the name of the lens it is compatible with the smaller DX format sensor on the Nikon. But I don't want a Nikon I want the 5D Mark II camera. Can someone help me with the lens system for a Canon full frame sensor camera.

Thanks for your help,
Charles

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow