Started Dec 18, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ishu
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
Local store vs. online
Dec 18, 2009

I'm looking to buy a DSLR, and I have a local independent camera (& electronics) store that sells a wide variety of camera brands, including Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, and Panasonic. Notably, they do not sell Nikon. They have a limited selection of lenses and flashes. They also make a lot of money on TV sales and installations.

At this store the reps are not the most knowledgeable, but they were no-pressure, and had no problem with me trying several cameras and even stepping outside with them. For example, I handled a Pentax k-x, Canon XSi/450D, and Olympus 520 & 620 and snapped pictures onto my cards, as many of you have recommended. To me , that's easlily worth $75-100. However, the current prices are maybe $50 off list price, which makes them another $75-100 higher than online bargains.

So how much of what kind of service and support do YOU think is worth the extra $75-$100?

(There is a second nearby store that is higher end (sells Leica), is camera-only, buys and sells bodies and lenses, but is snooty--was very uninterested when I called to inquire about entry-level models. I would not consider them unless they matched online sellers--which they don't.)

Thanks for your input!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow