Scanning old slides - What's the most practical way to accomplish this?

Started Dec 16, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nurd50
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Scanning old slides - What's the most practical way to accomplish this?
Dec 16, 2009

I have a bunch of (mostly) old Kodachrome slides from the 50's and 60's that my Dad took of our family when we were growing up (they still look like they were shot last week BTW) that I would like to scan. In the past when I attempted this, I had an Epson flat bed scanner with a frame holder for slides and while the results were OK it was a pain to setup and after 10 or 15 tries I found that dust was degrading the output to the point that I felt it was un-acceptable for long term preservation. So I guess what I'm wondering is what would be the best workflow to do this? All of these slides are mounted in sealed cardboard mounts which makes cleaning them a PITA. Is there simple a way to get the dust off of them? I tried taking a bad slide that I didn't care about and taking the mount off so I might be able to clean it better but it was not an easy task to do without risking crumbling or bending the slide itself. Is there a way to do this safely? I really have no qualms about removing the mounts if it means I can get a good archival scan (who uses slide projectors anymore?). Since this is more or less a one shot project I wonder if it is possible to rent a dedicated film scanner rather than outright buying one. So any suggestions you have would be appreciated especially particular settings (resolution, or particular scanner models etc).

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow