Started Dec 16, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jgeisen
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Wide Angle Lens Suggestion for 5d
Dec 16, 2009

I was hoping to get some feedback regarding lens suggestions for wide angle on a 5d (original). My intended purpose for the lens would be mainly for taking photos of my family both indoors and out, though more for indoors I suppose.

Right now, I have a 85mm 1.8 and a broken (recently) 50mm 1.8 II. Up until now, I would usually grab the 50mm for when I needed to get shots indoors of my two year old - adding my 430EXII flash when necessary. This setup worked reasonably well, though there were times that I wish I had something wider. Well, just recently, the autofocus broke on that lens, so I'm left with nothing wider than 85 that will autofocus on my camera (I have other 50s and a 28 that are old manual focus lenses, but I prefer autofocus when dealing with moving targets).

I am currently checking out a friend's 17-40 to see if this lens would work for what I want to do. I find that it takes gorgeous shots outdoors, but indoors I almost always need flash to get a good enough shutter speed. And it's tough to get any subject isolation at f/4 indoors where the background is usually pretty close to the subject.

So, I'm wondering if I can get some feedback from those of you in a similar position. What has worked for you and what hasn't? I've considered the 35 f/2, 28 f/1.8, 24-70 (both Canon and Sigma) or even just getting another 50 (either the Canon or Sigma). I guess my thoughts on the 17-40 is that it could serve multiple purposes (indoor wide angle w/flash and landscapes), whereas the primes I see as mainly indoor "people lenses" only - maybe I'm wrong though?

Any thoughts/suggestions/example photos are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow