Started Dec 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,182Gear list
Like?
F100fd - choosing the best compromise for DR
Dec 15, 2009

There are many ways to set the F100 AUTOISO and DR%, and each one has different compromises, unlike the EXR sensor which can have any ISO with any DR, with a compromise of resolution, the F100 always has the same resolution (12mp) but must compromise elsewhere.

Here is a list of possibilities and their compromise:

AUTOISO(400) DR=AUTO

Can use up to ISO400 but suffers from shadow noise when it uses ISO400 to achieve DR=400%. I try to avoid this mode.

AUTOISO(400) DR=200%

Limited to less than DR=400% but cannot use DR=100% which can give better contrast.

AUTOISO(400) DR=100%

No DR control, can give good contrast but prone to blowing out sky and other bright objects unless EV=-1/3 is used but then the images lose their brilliance or have to be heavily PP.

ISO200 DR=AUTO

Locked on ISO200, so ISO must be manually controlled if in low light, can automatically select DR=100% or DR=200% Good contrast but cannot use DR=400% which is good for controlling shadow noise but limits DR control.

This last setting is one I think I may prefer, and will be trialling it as soon as I get an opportunity.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow