Shooting trees -issues & results

Started Dec 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
DHFore
Contributing MemberPosts: 649
Like?
Re: Shooting trees -issues & results
In reply to entrailer, Dec 14, 2009

Your image didn't embed because you need to host the image somwhere, like Flickr or Pbase for it to work. Not sure you can embed directly from Picassa.

In your sample, looks like the camera metered for the sky, which will render the tree underexposed and cause the lack of detail you're looking for.

You will
A) have to sacrifice the sky to expose the tree properly in a single shot.

B) use a strobe to light the tree with the exposure settings you have for this shot to get some fill light on your subject
C) take the image when the sun is behind you and lights up the scene.

It's the same kind of decisions that all photoraphers with all camera models must make.

The 1000D doesn't have a spot meter that I could see in the specsheet. But it does have a partial 9% of center meter If you select partial metering mode and point the camera at the center of the tree, you'll get the proper exposure for the tree (which I'm guessing would not be 1/125 sec based on experience, though you didn't tell me at what f/stop). Even Center-weighted average metering would have exposed the tree properly in this example.

More detail comes from a smaller f/stop. Most lenses have a "sweet spot" where the sharpenss is at it's best. Usually, that sweet spot falls somewhere in the F/11 - F/16 range.

entrailer wrote:

Hi,

Here's an example of results I'm getting with my new 1000D.
Taken in lowish light conditions but with a satis shutter speed 1/125.

However I'm not greatly impressed. Image lacks detail, of the tree that is, both in the high contrast area where is meets the background and of the tree itself.

This is my main area of interest as far as photography goes, the old: "green on green" subject or high contrast situations and I have never been satis wid my results.

The images are really to be used for instructional purposes, so detail and def are pretty much the only important parameters.

Feedback greatly welcomed.

BTW, anyone know what's up with the embed function?

-- hide signature --

They tell me I have to type something sensible before I can post. I sure hope this works.

My Photoblog-- http://www.flickr.com/photos/8301398@N02/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow