When will Canon focus on IQ instead of MP!?

Started Dec 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zerozeronine
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?
When will Canon focus on IQ instead of MP!?
Dec 13, 2009

I'm finally ready to move up to full-frame from my 5-year-old 20D, but am still waiting because I'd like to have better AF than the 5D II (seeing the enhancements on the 7D), and feel the IQ could be improved (judging from the 1D IV and Nikon offerings). I can wait a bit more, and I don't plan to upgrade frequently, so feel that the next non-1-series full-frame could be the sweet spot for me.

But the Dx0 tests are bothering me. If those tests are meaningful (I'm not interested in the subjective "sensor rating," but more in the individual ones like high ISO, and DR), then Nikon's products still best Canon's by a lot. Why is Canon taking so long to address this? Do you think this technology leap-frogging lag is going to be as long as that time when Canon was king of DSLR sensors around the time of the 20D (that's why I went with Canon originally, for my first SLR)?

I don't want to jump ship to Nikon yet because I like what I have of Canon's lenses so far (EF-S 17-55mm (which I will sell), 85mm f/1.2L II and 70-200 f/4L IS, and eyeing the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II). But if Canon doesn't focus on IQ instead of megapixels in the next "low-cost" full-frame, I may seriously consider doing so.

Maybe Canon's marketing materials say otherwise, but I'd guess that most people would rather have better high ISO and DR capabilities than be able to blow photos up to poster size with inconveniently large file sizes, which is what's puzzling me about Canon's product strategy...

The ID IV looks promising (not that I can afford it), so am hoping Canon's going in the right direction (although it implies a 27 MP full-frame...).

Kaz

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SighNew
YupNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow