Tamron 17-50 2.8 IS

Started Nov 28, 2009 | Discussions thread
Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,153
Like?
Re: Hmmm
In reply to rjfalks, Dec 11, 2009

I recently discovered the existance of a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 that you can check out. Do some research on it. Has great ratings. But you must understand when you want to shoot wide open, you must expect a lens not to be at its best. But under these circumstances, do not pixel peep. Just take a good picture and accept it for what it is. I get great low light pictures but I do not try to blow them up 200% and look for negatives on the picture. I look at the subject being targetted and just enjoy the shot taken if it is good.

rjfalks wrote:

stratobill wrote:

There are various rules of thumb like others have said, but at 2.8 you almost certainly will need higher iso than 400 to get a good picture. I aim for 1/1.5x focal length.

2.8 is borderline for indoor shooting with normal light, that's one reason 1.8 and 1.4 primes exist.

Thats kind of what i figured using a non-VC or IS lens. I have been pondering the decision between the Tamron 17-50 constant 2.8 but from research its soft wide open and best stopped down so the 2.8 is pretty much negated for indoor use without a flash or high ISO anyways.

I have both the 430EXii & 270EX and normally just shoot indoors on M, 1/125,f5.6,

ISO 400, and let the ETL handle the lighting so i guess the use of an external flash on a standard zoom is the norm indoors.

I also have the 50mm f1.8 MK1 metal mount but it dont do its best till f2.8 either.

The 85mm f1.8 i have IMO is too tight indoors on the XSi crop. Dont want the Canon 50mm f1.4 since its not true USM and the build quality on it isnt any better then my old MK1.

Cant afford the short range "L" primes so which ones would you suggest other then the Sigma 30mm f1.4 which i dont want, that are decent wide open if they even exist ?

One guy suggested the Sigma 28mm f1.8 macro since its not a true 1.1 macro but folks claim its soft and has AF problems.

Regards & Thanks for your Tips & Advice !

Ron

-- hide signature --

Quickly shooter, draw your lens or prepared to get shot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
HmmmNew
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow