Video quality, Canon 7D vs. Lumix GF-1

Started Sep 2, 2009 | Discussions thread
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic is really ahead (nt)
In reply to John W Peterson, Dec 11, 2009

John W Peterson wrote:

To clarify, I shoot with the GH-1 no the GF-1. I use almost entirely the 14-140 for video and an assortment of external microphone setups. The GH-1 offers 1080 video which the GF-1 does not.

What makes the lumix shine, IMHO, is actually the principal "designed for video" kit lens which offers three virtues that I have not seen (or seen to reliably work) in the video offerings from other manufacturers.

1.) Noiseless (really) autofocus motor offers continuous AF tracking which is quick to lock-on and leaves no impression on the video output of "hunting".

2.) Infinitely variable aperature - no sudden steps in video scene brightness when the camera adjusts the aperature as the light changes.

3.) optical stabilizer works with video tracking / panning - helps keep the shot nice and smooth.

4.) - not a lens feature but I'll throw it in - clip length - I shot my son's winter band concert at his school this last week - 55 minutes continuous shooting. No problem.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow