Started Dec 10, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Humito
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?
D60 > D90? Need Advice Please
Dec 10, 2009

I'd really welcome thoughts/advice on whether I should upgrade from my D60 to the D90.

I take a lot of shots as a hobby, just for pleasure but I also use the D60 as an important professional tool in a Studio situation (Incandescent lights/Umbrellas, Graded backgrounds etc) to photograph my work for galleries and magazines - I'm a Studio potter, fairly well known and with the constant need to upgrade images/website and so on. For the past 4 years I've been working in porcelain with very subtle blue/green glazes based on Chinese Sung pots. They're a bugger to shoot : the lens flips in and out of focus (because of different high points and the fact that sometimes I'm shooting 'crackle' glaze) though I generally make out using manual. The other issue is the sublety of colour/surface: the camera, despite various changes to settings, never accurately captures white balance and this will be really impt soon because I'm establishing an 'e' commerce website - anyone who spends £150 - 300 on a piece and doesn't get what they see on the screen has a right to be ticked off.

I will be buying either Colormunki or Spyder Studio and I can tweak and fiddle via ACR and CS3 but it often takes a long time per shot.

Despite the price of my work I earn v. little and to upgrade to a D90 would be a really big financial step. If anyone is in a similar situation and has advice I'd really welcome your 2 cents.

Thanks, Kevin

p.s. 18-135 and Sig 10-20 + thinking of either sig 17-50 2.8 (2nd hand) or 17-70 macro

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow