Started Dec 9, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mognar
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
New dad seeking advice on lenses.
Dec 9, 2009

Hi and I wanted to say thanks in advance for your time and advice!

I'm a fairly new dad with an 11 month old and decided it's time to take the plunge and upgrade from the point and shoot I've been using. I've decided on the Canon EOS Rebel T1i and have been going nuts reviewing lenses and I'm still undecided as to what would be the best fit for my use. I'm looking to buy lenses that will grow with my daughter Right now, most of the use will be primarily indoor shots and eventually as she grows, there will be more outdoor, sports, etc.

The lenses I'm considering are the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 for my primary carry around and the 50mm f/1.4 USM as my prime, which I believe will handle the indoor/lowlight pics. I'm also considering the 70-300mm f/4-5.6.
I'm going to buy the body rather than the kit, since I won't need the kit lense.

Being new to DSLR and lenses in general, I'm looking for opinions to help my decision along I think the 17-85 and 50mm will handle just about all the situations I'll run into as a parent, but being green, will take all the advice I can get!

So... do you think those 2 lenses are a good choice for "parenting" photography? Are there any other choices I should consider? Will I have a need for the 70-300 or will the 85mm handle most scenarios?

Thanks again and I appreciate any and all advice.

FYI, I've been coming to dpreview since I purchased my Coolpix 990! I just couldn't remember my password and haven't received it yet, so had to create another account to post.

Also, has anyone used the OEM Rebel bag and is that sufficient for the body, 2 lenses and accessories? Or should I go with something else such as a lowepro?

I've been looking at various dealers that have packages, but haven't found any with the 50mm included. Figured the added accessories would be nice to get in one package.

Thanks again,

Mog

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow