ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brit
Contributing MemberPosts: 986
Like?
7D & CF card write speed question...
Dec 8, 2009

I have a two part question:

1. Sandisk Ultra II cards use to have on their labels “up to 15MB/s”, or at least the 4MB cards did. There are now Ultra II 8MB cards that read “up to 30MB/s”. Did Sandisk really improve performance or is this just marketing… (has anyone found the new card to be actually faster...)

2. In terms of buffer write from the camera – what is the minimum CD card speed to avoid a bottleneck caused by the CF card…

Up to now, I’ve been able to make due with the relatively slow 15MB/s card – not shooting long bursts and relatively low fps on my pre-7D cameras.

Now with the 7D and the high fps – I’ve found I quickly fill the camera buffer and end up waiting a much longer time for the images to write to the card – I now view the 15MB/s card speed as a limiting factor...

I’m OK waiting on the card to write to the computer – so I’m more concerned with avoiding a bottleneck on the camera-to-card write side.

So…if the new Ultra II card speed is correct – will going to 30MB/s help all that much (presumably it will cut my wait by close to half…) – will there still be a bottleneck with the Extreme III – is the Extreme IV the only way to go? There is, of course, a significant cost impact with each step up…

Thanks, Brit

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow