Need help with lens dilemma for Botswana trip

Started Dec 2, 2009 | Discussions thread
mikew
Contributing MemberPosts: 546Gear list
Like?
There is a book by Todd Gustafson -
In reply to Jeff Klofft, Dec 6, 2009

A Photographers Guide to the Safari Experience.

Get it. I believe Artie Morris stocks it at birdsasart.com. Or try amazon.com. Todd is an experienced African photographer and guide. The book covers all safari needs around Africa.

Be absolutely certain your camera bags fit the airline profile. The rest of the world is much stricter than here in the U.S. I use the Think Tank International roller, and their Urban Disguise 60. The 500 and 200-400 with one D700 body go in the roller bag and various stuff that can fit in the crannies. The UD-60 carries a second body 70-200 2.8, wide zoom, flash, medicines, and various sundries. I was questioned about weight only once, in Kenya, but they let me take it on when they saw the lenses and realized it could not be checked.

Consider one of the new netbooks for image storage/review. They are the best combination of weight and capacity available.
Remember to find out about the availability of electricity in camp.
Have a great trip.
Mike

mikew's gear list:mikew's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow