Is there anything comparable to my FZ30 yet?

Started Dec 5, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sirandar
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
Is there anything comparable to my FZ30 yet?
Dec 5, 2009

It has been a while and I have been shooting with my FZ30 - Vivitar 285Hv - puffer, and I am pretty happy with the combo. It is heavy but it is pretty much all I need, my entire studio in one bag.

Sadly the FZ30 has 2 glaring shortcomings, it isn't very good at capturing ambient lighting when light levels are low (due to ISO shortcomings) and it is hard to capture the beauty of the human form indoors, again because a flash is more than often required, which uglifies everyone. You can compensate, but it requires PP backflips.

A friend of mine showed me his pics from a higher end Canon dSLR, and in the above scenarios, the difference is obvious. I know I couldn't ever get pics like that out of my FZ.

Has any manufacturer made any progress in the this area in a fixed lens, wide, wide zoom camera. I know the FZ50 has better IS400 and has a ISO 800 if you don't mind the artifacts but I prefer the FZ30 pixmantec rawshooter combo despite the extra hassle.

Also I know that Pana has some newer FZ but I don't think they have a hotshoe, and a powerful flash really is required to get the best out of a small sensor camera

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow