1D Mark II N - Need help in learning its AF system.

Started Dec 3, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ajimon
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
1D Mark II N - Need help in learning its AF system.
Dec 3, 2009

Hi,

I just picked up a used 1D Mark II N (1Dm2n) for its well known reliable AF system. But I am thoroughly disappointed with myself coz, I just cant figure out how these 45 points work !! First of all there are so many points, second of all those AF related custom functions are driving me nuts

Ok, now the real story, I am a 5D Mark II shooter. Love the IQ, but hates the AF system. Now you know why I picked up the 1Dm2n.

I tried various AF modes/CF setting, combination, but still cant freeze my 15 month old running around in sharp focus. This test was performed with Canon 300mm f4 IS, with camera at a distance of roughly 5-6mts from target. The 45 AF area was covering from my daughters forehead till lower neck in portrait mode. I shot over 30 frames, and ended up with just 3 keepers! Btw, all this in AI Servo with center AF point + auto expansion. I tried the same with auto AF point selection and ended up with similar results.

What could I be doing wrong? Can someone give me a lesson on this AF system?

Story no2. In AI servo, I pointed the lens to a high contrast surface and fired away 8 frames in 1 second. I did not wait for the camera to attain focus initially, instead simply pressed the shutter button. All images were totally OOF! I thought the camera would attain focus mid way through the shoot. I mean may be after 3rd or 4th frame. But that did not happen. Can someone please tell me why?

I will highly appreciate if you could give me some tips or forward me to some link for educating myself to use my new toy efficiently.

Thanks in advance,

Ajimon.

-- hide signature --

Ajimon

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow