Started Dec 1, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wimpy
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Legacy and MF, Why all the interest??
Dec 1, 2009

I tried a friends GF1 with a MF lens and I can tell you I wasn't very impressed with the combination. I'm not talking specifically about the MF lens, I'm talking about all the hassle you go through for a simple picture. Here's what I had to do, tell me if I was doing something wrong:

1. Look through EVF, or LCD for composition.
2. Turn the focus ring

3. Magnified view comes on, I completely lose composition and instead am ZOOM in on this tiny area.
4. Tap the shutter release to go back to full composition
5. Snap.

That whole process to take 1 picture took about 10 seconds. Sure, if I was good at it, I might speed it up to 5. But heck, 5 seconds for a snap?

It was a Leica M mount lens. I previewed the picture on the camera, so didn't get a chance to view it on my monitor. But, I personally don't understand the fascination with MF lens. I can understand if you've got a bunch of legacy sitting around and want to use them. I really don't understand folks purposely building up a legacy collection to use on this camera.

OK, you might say, there aren't many 'native' lens available at the moment, and I completely agree. I'm happy with my 20/1.7 and 14-45. I might consider the 7-14, but it's too slow for me. I don't (personally) want to be bother with all that fuss to take a picture. Speed of legacy lens? Yes, ok, but 10 seconds to take a picture? ugh.

Tell me I'm an idiot.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow