Started Nov 29, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bootstrap
Forum ProPosts: 20,999
Like?
About your pictures. The reality.
Nov 29, 2009

Fifty years from now, who will really care?

We're all capable of making impressive landscapes, macros, flower photos, etc. but, should they be viewable 50 years hence, who cares?

The important photos, IMO, are of those of our families, our growth, our homes and things that our descendants can relate to. Years from now, hopefully, a rose will still be a rose but our children will all be grown with children and grandchildren of their own and, I'm sure, would like to be able to share photos from 2009 of what they were doing, what their parents were doing, what houses looked like, what pets we had, etc....

I've been shooting photos since 1960 with varying equipment and during that time have exactly 2 photos, not family related, that may stand a test of time. My most appreciated photos are those from a family reunion done 4 years ago at my Mom's 80th birthday. They were shot with a 4MP E-10.

Prior to those, I have a lot of family remembrances shot with film cameras and preserved as prints that reside in a shoe box that will go to my 36 year old son. Many of those are of him as he was growing up and, I'm sure, he'll appreciate them.

So, you may ask, what does this have to do with a gear forum post? Well, what it really boils down to is that crop factors, equivalence, f/stops, extremely fast lenses, etc., really don't matter. The content of the photograph is, bottom line, most important.

Yes, I enjoy my gear and am quite pleased with what I own but I also realize that I'm not HCB, Ansel Adams, Pete Turner, Dorothea Lang, Frank Capra, ad infinitum . I'm a guy who enjoys photography and do the best I can.

Shoot what you like, shoot with the gear you prefer and, bottom line, preserve memories. That, IMO, is what photography is all about.
Let's all put this in perspective.
Thanks for hearing me out.

Bill Turner

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
BillNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow