Started Nov 27, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Crow T Robot
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
D50 - Err message...
Nov 27, 2009

Good evening, all. I have a well-cared for D50 that I've had since Nikon released it...and I love it. About two years ago, I started getting an 'Err' message when I tried to take a picture, and the mirror/shutter would sound like it did a "double shot" after a while, after which I could continue to take pictures. It gradually became more frequent until I had no choice but to repair or replace it. An authorized Nikon center evaluated it and declared that it needed a new shutter assembly for approximately $250.00.

I had the assembly replaced, and all seemed well...for a while. Six months ago, the 'Err' message returned with a vengeance and I am now not able to take pictures. She Who Must Be Obeyed has decreed that a replacement is not possible right now (why, oh why, do the kids need to get anything for Christmas? ). I was a bit "down" about it, and so I started playing with the camera just to see if I could spot a pattern...and boy did I.

The 'Err' message happens 99% of the times that I attempt to take a "normal" horizontal picture...but never happens when I take a vertical shot. What could this be? I know that there's something in the camera that detects the body's orientation...could this be the cause of the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: It also works all the time when the camera body is inverted (upside-down). Interesting...

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow