Started Nov 25, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
donkeyvision
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
sigma (non)service... reasons?
Nov 25, 2009

This past June I took a swim with my Bigma after a kayaking accident.

After drying out the lens seemed to function, but there was a film over the internal lens element. After a few tests it was clear that it wasn't as sharp as it should be.

It had been suggested that Sigma should be able to clean it and improve the condition. Money was pretty tight and I couldn't afford to send it in until last week.

A couple of days ago I received a "statement" indicating as a trade in value I could get a new lens for $850 - No mention of an estimate cost of cleaning.

When I called to inquire about the situation I was told they do not even try to clean or repair water damage.

This seems a little strange to me - the lens "works" (with obvious flaws), but the say they can not fix it. I'm sure they deal with this all the time and have their reasons, but it's very disappointing.

It would have been nice to see something on the service portion of their website stating that they DO NOT service water damaged items - would have saved me the $35 for shipping/insurance.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow