Started Nov 25, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lester_B
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?
Major Pocket Wizard problems at an event
Nov 25, 2009

Did an event last weekend and had major problems with my pocket wizards. Weird things happening. I had 3 Alien Bee strobes set up with PW's. I had a PW transmitting on my camera and another photog had one on his. His setup was firing all the strobes with no problem but mine was firing intermittantly. Sometimes one would go off and other times none would go off. I was shooting with my 5D Mark II and had my 580 EX on the hotshoe. I velcroed the PW to the side of the flash and plugged it into my 580 ( it's been updated to receive the plug like the newer 580). A couple of ideas as to why it wasn't working properly... 1) I'm using rechargeable batteries... but they were fully charged and the event was only 4 hours... could that be it? 2) My flash unit was set on special function 7 to recycle with external power supply only... could that be it? 3) could it be my contacts on the hot shoe?? Could it be the batteries in my flash weren't giving enough charge to send out the signal? Remedies I tried were: replacing the PW on my hot shoe with another one.. didn't help. Take flash off camera and re- attached to be sure I had good connection... didn't help. I even had some problems with my light meter not firing off the strobes for metering them. Most of the time they went off but a couple of times I had to move my arm around to a different direction to activate them. I'm totally frustrated now and can't figure out how to troubleshoot these things to be sure I don't have the same problems again. I'm thinking of replacing all the batteries with fresh non-rechargeable batteries as a starting point but do you guys think that would be the problem? I"d appreciate some advice on how to narrow down my problems.

Lester_B's gear list:Lester_B's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow