OT: Making a solo trip to Japan. Suggestions?

Started Nov 23, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
inferno10
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
OT: Making a solo trip to Japan. Suggestions?
Nov 23, 2009

I'm planning to take a trip to Japan in 2010, hopefully timed right for the cherry blossoms. This will be my very first solo international trip, and I'm both scared and excited. I'm scared because I'll be totally alone for this trip, and my Japanese is extremely basic at best. I'm excited through because I'm completely free to do whatever I want.

This is where my question comes in. I'm scheduled to be in Japan for 2 weeks (26 Mar to 10 Apr). The only things locked in stone are my flights. Everything else is an empty slate (including hotels). I'm trying to put together my itinerary, and am open to suggestions.

Does anyone of photog-friendly tours / locations that I should check out? Any locals know of interesting sights that might be missed by the typical tourist? I'm also open to hotel / hostel / ryokan suggestions.

I'm definitely going to need a few days in Tokyo, but I'll most likely purchase a Japan Rail pass to travel outside of Tokyo.

• Jason

inferno10's gear list:inferno10's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow