Started Nov 22, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rurikw
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
Digital camera design
Nov 22, 2009

I find digital camera, particularly SLR, designs quite conservative, so I tried my own amateur hands at designing a camera with main attention to ergonomics. I am addicted to so called articulated displays so that was a must. I went a bit further and imagined it to be removable, with a wireless connection, or attached with a cord if necessary. Also, I imagined the sensor to be circular, accommodating the entire image circle of the sharp and expensive lenses I would mount on it if I had the money. You can crop in camera or afterwards in any (horizontal or vertical) format you wish. Or even keep the circle.

The design came out as two cylinders with slightly different diameters. The smaller one is hinged to become a grip. In its contracted form it resembles binoculars, with the grip out it becomes a hair dryer/electric drill kind of thing (beware of making it look too much like a gun, that will have you shot if you point it at the president:() It should be easy to hold in many ways, to shoot eye-level, waist level, from above, toward yourself etc. Minimization was not a concern. The cigarrette pack design is hard to beat in that field, the hinged Nikons even harder (what happened to them?) Scaled down, though, it could be all right as a compact design too.

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow