Started Nov 22, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
technophile
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,313Gear list
Like?
First shots with ND/GND filters - some questions & samples
Nov 22, 2009

So I decided I needed filters to get longer exposures in bright light (especially with waterfalls) and bought a Cokin P series GND kit. For those unfamiliar with the kit, it includes a holder that attaches to your lens with an adaptor ring (not included, must be purchased separately) and 3 filters (search Cokin H250 for details). I grabbed my gear and headed off to a waterfall about an hour's drive and a steep half mile hike away.

On site, I quickly set up my lightweight tripod (my only tripod) screwed the adaptor ring onto my 18-55IS kit lens, clipped the filter holder onto that and slid one of the filters into the holder and fired off a test shot. Hard to tell on the LCD, but looked blown, so I added a second filter. Still too light, so I added the third filter, before realizing I was still in auto ISO mode. Duh. Locked the ISO at 100 and tried again. Nice, now I can get some long exposures. I went to work shooting AEB, with thoughts of getting some nice HDR material.

Now for the results/questions. Things did not turn out the way I planned. When I finally got the shots on the PC, I realized that I may have gone a bit overboard on the long exposures and actually, like some of my earlier shots, with shorter exposures, better. In many shots, the water was so foggy that it just looked awful. Lesson learned, I guess more is not always better. Another thing I noticed was that most of the shots have a serious color cast to them, sort of a magenta,reddish, brownish tint, that I struggled with in PP. A search on google shows others having this issue with Cokin GNDs. Is this something I just need to get used to? Anyone have any quick tips for negating the color cast from these filters?

Overall, I really like the filter kit. Good build quality, quick and easy to use and love the flexibility of being able to move the filter up/down or rotate to whatever orientation I want. Here are a few sample images for C&C. I have tried to remove most of the color cast, but would like to know if you find the images okay or in need of more PP (especially color correction). Thanks.

Color correction 1

Color correction 2

-- hide signature --
 technophile's gear list:technophile's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow