Started Nov 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vinay
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
advice needed on the M9, transitioning to, Leica resale etc
Nov 21, 2009

I'm a serious amateur photographer mainly in the Nikon world thus far who is seriously trying to downsize because of joint injury and weight considerations - I just cannot carry heavy equipment anymore. I have serious issues and need to downsize for weight and should have done it a long time ago. While the micro 4/3rds is appealing and I may swing for it, I'm also seriously tempted by the Leica M9. However, as someone who only occasionally makes money from photography ( since I don't have the time to try and market myself etc - it's not my profession ) and never enough to amount to paying for something like an M9, it would purely be money that's just gone. I completely understand the difference between money and the intangible joys of photography but in this economy money is something that must be at least on the list of considerations. I have to admit, I am drawn to the Leica mystique in part as well as the obvious impressiveness of image quality and to the purity of the process. I would feel better knowing how much leica bodies keep their value if I decide in the future that I need to change it up or if the process does not work for me ( it's been a long long time since I used a rangefinder and there are no rentals in my area ). Digital especially seems to imply that the sensor of today is almost worthless tomorrow. On the other hand, it seems like something like the M9 is something that would produce quality images forever and may never need to be replaced. I do occasionally get requests for large wall images but they are far and few in between. I have used rental film MF rangefinders in the past ( I think a mamiya ) but it was a long time ago, so I should consider myself a novice to the Rangefinder world. I mostly do landscape and portraits so don't need fast focus tracking etc. I am thinking of a multi-phase purchase - start with the e-p2, purchase a leica lens such as the old 90mm f/2.8 summarit and use it with the e-p2 in addition to the kit lens. Eventually, maybe middle of next year, purchase the M9 and another lens ( such as the 35 or 50mm ). Anyways, a rambling post, but I would like input from people, especially serious amateurs like myself who will never replace the cost of an M9 who have made the transition from an SLR to Leica Rangefinders and their experience.

Thanks

Vinay's gear list:Vinay's gear list
Leica M9
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow