Started Nov 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sjordan0228
Contributing MemberPosts: 658
Like?
looking for a camera for a family member
Nov 21, 2009

My wifes father has been wanting to get back into photography. He still uses an old Nikon FA from time to time. So I thought about getting him a camera for Christmas.

Now, I am a canon user (5d, 5dMII and 7d) so I only know what I have read on review sites. BTW, Nikon's line of cameras are very confusing to me.

So I went to best buy just to see what they had. They had the d3000, d5000 and d90. The only one that really impressed me was the d90. And I say this because the viewfinder was much better on the d90 and for a older guy with glasses it seemed more logical to get a camera that has a brighter larger view finder.

Anyway, my budget is $500-600. I want to get him something that will last long and something that he can live with. So with that my options seem to be a used or refurbished d80 with a cheap lens, or a used d200. He doesnt have a ton of money so I really want to get him a lens with the camera.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there another model camera out there thats in the 8-10mpix range that has a decent size viewfinder for the price I listed?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow