Started Nov 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,195Gear list
Like?
Visiting the Milky Way - and some galaxies
Nov 20, 2009

Here are some recent photographs made with my small 10.6 cm telescope and my A900 (not modified). All pictures are exposed for one to two hours, made up from 5 minute single exposures that are stacked. Focal length 530 mm, aperture f:5 at ISO 1600. Auto guided Losmandy G-11 equatorial mount.

The camera was focused with the Remote Camera Control software that came with the camera and a laptop PC. This kind of focus check works very well for critical work -- much better than using the LCD for checking at high magnification as I did earlier.

I think my tecnique is improved a bit! I am amazed with the amount of detail and how deep the camera goes -- dark nebulas and galaxies fainter than magnitude 18.

Enjoy!

BELOW: The cocon-nebula is a small emission nebula in the Milky Way, surrounded by dark clouds of interstellar dust. You can easily follow the dark rivers that are formed by thiese dark clouds as they block light from the stars in the background.

BELOW: This small and bright reflection nebula is found in the constellation of Cepheus. The two hour exposure reveals clouds of dark dust shattering the field of view.

BELOW: This faint emission nebula is hard to photograph with DSRL cameras, since the hydrogen alpha (Ha) response is limited. Still the nebula stands out against a star rich area in the Milky Way.

BELOW: Another emission nebula, the Caliifornia nebula. This is also a faint object and it takes some working with the files to get an acceptable result.

BELOW: A bright and very beautiful reflection nebula, the Pleiades. With a pair of binoculars some of the nebulous can be seen against a dark sky. Here the long exposure has gained a lot of fine structures -- my best photo of this object!

BELOW: All the pictures above shows astronomical objects in our galaxy, the Milky Way system. Here are two other galaxies found in Ursa Major, the spiral galaxy M81 to the left (same type as the Milky Way) and the irregular and distorted M82 to the right.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow